Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Life is like a box of crawfish: Forrest Gumping Mardi Gras Style

I eased on down the road to the deep south.  Once I landed in the Bayou, I began exploring.  My goal was to see and try all the local favorites....on the Gulf Coast in LA & MS.


New Orleans, NO NO's
1. Do not pee in the street
2.  Do not wander down alleys--Gang bangers chill there
3. Avoid Bourbon St. after dark
4. Do not stay sober---(no open container laws!!)
Now for the chain of events for Mardi Gras....

One of the first things we did was go to a parade in Pass Christian, MS.  It was my first parade and I got swamped with beads, and bit by fire ants.


Afterwards I went to a bona fide fish fry.  Something I got to watch since I'm a celiac. BUT I ate, well I swallowed it, my FIRST OYSTER.
Then a nice lady there showed me how to do it the "big girl way" that involved CHEWING the oyster.  For some reason I just couldn't chew that gelatinous blob.


For Fat Tuesday we went to Metairie, LA. They had 3 parades in a row! There I learned how to SHUCK oysters! This really cool lady who looked horrendously unapproachable...turned out to be approachable and she showed me how to shuck oysters and eat Cajun crawfish!


Sometime after the parade my friends mother pushed me down a hill, I got in a scuffle over an LSU shirt, and some old man, who thought he was Hugh Hefner, tried to take me home....I almost went because he had jello shots.
The next day Metairie was taken out by tornados and floods...But I'd still like to say thanks for a good time....at least from what I remember.


We also went to the Beach, where we were swarmed by seagulls.

We Went to New Orleans, pronounced NAWLINS and got some famous drinks.

Pat O'briens Hurricanes...GLUTEN FREE!


And a drink called a hand grenade, Also Gluten Free...but I had to take a risk first because the ingredients are secret.

* If you have Celiac Disease, New Orleans is a difficult place to visit.  I almost cried 3 times because I got screamed at by waiters...etc who just didn't understand that I WASN'T a spy from FoodNetwork or being picky.


Also GLUTEN FREE FRIED SEAFOOD at CASAMENTO'S in Uptown New Orleans.  I gorged myself it was disgusting, but delicious all at the same time!


and remember!!!
1. WHO DAT?
&
2. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!...Let the good times roll!

CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment